the roadtrip

11 Apr

As many of you already know one of my goals from last year was to drive across the country before I turned 30. I’ve always thought it sounded incredibly adventurous and the idea of roaming the country without a care in the world sounded beyond romantic. At heart I am a total free spirit; sometimes I think I forget that when I am busy writing to-do lists!

I am happiest going with the flow of life, without an agenda.

Leading up to the trip I wasn’t sure how I was going to pull it all off. Who was going to go with me? Mr. McClafferty would just die if I drove it by myself. How would I take all that time off from work? How would I afford the trip? How? How? How?

But as most things do when you trust the universe, it all fell into place perfectly. My wildly adventurous and free-spirited best girlfriend, Rachel of One Part Gypsy signed up to go on the trip with me. I got the time off from work and we somehow paid for most of the trip with the help of fabulous sponsors (thanks guys!). We got lucky, but we also worked our asses of to put this trip together.

We left on the roadtrip exactly one year ago and it ended up being the Best. Month. Of. My. Life.

Sure, there was some fighting…I mean, have you ever traveled in a car with a person for a month? Sure, we almost lost our lives in Mississippi when a big rig swerved into our lane and ran us off the road. Sure, we got lost more times than I’d care to admit (shhhh….sometimes we drove hours out-of-the-way). Sure, we woke up most mornings at 4am to start the drive. Sure, we probably both gained 10 (ok maybe 8) pounds eating our way across America…I mean, have you been to the South?? But, we survived it all with our senses of humor and an insane amount of red bulls, and we are better friends because if it.

There really isn’t another person I could imagine having accomplished this goal with. Traveling across the country with Rachel will forever be one of my favorite memories. I’m pretty sure when we are old and grey we will be telling our grandkids about the wild month in 2012 we conquered the USA.

kate-365-mississippi-e1336096019890 one_part_gypsy_365_til_30_american_roadtrip_austin_texas_barton_springs_05

Read some of my favorite posts from that month!

– Marfa, Texas

– Getting chased by a dirt devil

– Visiting Georgia O’ Keefe’s private residence

– Memphis!

– Our night at a sweet little B&B in Alabama

–  Our day with wild horses

– Santa Fe

– Struggs

–  Going to F. Scott Fitzgeralds home

– We’re going to Graceland!

10 Responses to “the roadtrip”

1. Stephanie Neutze April 11, 2013 at 8:37 am #

Kate, you constantly inspire me! Every time I read about one of your adventures, interviews and day to day activities I want to follow in your footsteps. You make the impossible become possible. This will be the year when I make my own life list! You are amazing!

2. justmeactually April 11, 2013 at 10:19 am #

This reminded me of my month in Europe with my sister. It’s life-changing to get out of your comfort zone for longer than a few days isn’t it? Thanks for inspiring me to plan another adventure!

3. di @ life of di. April 11, 2013 at 10:20 am #

Your trip looks fabulous! Love the pictures 🙂

My husband and I decided to go on an (almost) three week road trip for our honeymoon. We were married in October of 2011 but couldn’t go on a honeymoon right away because he teaches high school so we put it off until June 2012. We couldn’t decide where we wanted to go in the Caribbean and then we realized – let’s do a road trip instead. We started in Ohio – Nashville, New Orleans, Houston, San Antonio, Santa Fe, Grand Canyon, Ojai, San Francisco, Petaluma, Portland, Port Angeles, Olympic National Park, Seattle, Badlands National Park and Chicago. The best part was when we hit Petaluma and said, ‘We officially spent what we would’ve on two plane tickets to the Caribbean.’ What a nice feeling 🙂

4. barbarapotter April 11, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

I enjoyed reading all of your adventures as you were doing them. I wish I could write and remember all of mine like you do. You are fun.

5. the usual bliss April 11, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

It was in the midst of these road trip posts that I discovered (and became smitten with) your blog! What an adventure- memories for a lifetime! xx

6. Charlene April 11, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

This awesome. YOU are awesome. The photos had me smiling and the words leave me inspired. Way to follow through and live, love life!! 🙂

7. maternalmedia April 11, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

Two questions: 1. Did you have random people take the photos of you two together in semi awkward places like your hotel room? (Because that makes me laugh just thinking about you having to ask someone to do that) 2. Did you tell people along the way how you two were on this fabulous journey across the country together? Too fun!

8. amelie88 April 11, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

I started following you while you were doing your road trip. Your Marfa, TX post got Freshly Pressed and I remember reading it and thinking, “What an odd little place! Must know where else she ends up!” So glad I did :).

9. rachel April 12, 2013 at 7:43 am #

We sure know how to have fun, huh??? 😉 i LOVE seeing all these photos together- you have soooo many good ones with us actually in them that i’d completely forgotten about! So fun to relive the best month EVER! xoxox

1. let’s do this 2014 | - January 6, 2014

[…] My life feels the most full when I am traveling. The first year I stared this blog my goal was to travel across the country and I did just that with my lovely girlfriend Rachel. It was a wild adventure…a wild adventure […]