inspirations, gratitude and surprises

1 Feb

0c5a68fb4b57859f30d51748ceb012f5

We’ve been in our new house for exactly seven days and I have spent most of them either in shock that this is my new home (I mean it’s reaaaallllly pretty), depressed about the change (I don’t do change well- I miss our little rundown bungalow by the beach that I used to complain about) or feeling like I’m living in a dream world (this is my life?!?!?!). I feel like I am squatting at a real adults super nice house and I’m going to get kicked out soon. I also feel completely overwhelmed by the reality of it. A mortgage?! These last few months have been amazing, everything I could have ever wanted, but, the last few months have also been filled with a lot of adult activities – you know getting engaged, planning a wedding and buying a place and all of a sudden it hit me like a freight train when we moved in- I’m an adult. I’ve arrived!!! SHIT. Now what?

Gone are the days of staying out till 3 am on a weeknight with friends just because I felt like it. Gone are the days of spending my paycheck on shoes instead of saving it. Gone are the days of wondering what I will be like when I grow up (It’s kinda a fun game to play, huh? SOOO many possibilities).

Because I am a grown up. AND it’s scary. AND lovely. AND exciting. AND overwhelming. AND I’m happy. AND I mourn the other stage a bit. AND I’m in wonder. AND I feel blessed. AND I feel like an imposter most days.

I’m not going to lie…it’s been a bit of a hard week. I feel stupid even admitting that considering everything I have to be thankful for. But, it’s the truth. One of the many complicated things about being a human being.

What inspired me this week?

This incredibly honest and heartfelt post by Erin of Well In LA

This post by Katie Devine of Confessions Of An Imperfect Life

Taking myself on a date to the bookstore. I bought Marianne Williamson’s “A Return To Love”, Steve Martin’s “An Object Of Beauty” & Jennifer Egan’s “A Visit From The Goon Squad”.

This sweet post about motherhood by Naomi of Love Taza

The view I get of the sunset each night from our new living room. EPIC

Being honest about my feelings

What am I grateful for this week?

When I told my momma that I was feeling low she immediately came over to hang- just dropped everything and came right over. We sat around scouring the internet for a dining table. Have I ever told you she’s a brilliant interior designer?? Shameless plug, huh?

I have a washing machine, a dishwasher and a two person tub now! The two person tub has already been put to use!

I have THE BEST fiancée in the ENTIRE WORLD. It’s a fact.

What surprised me this week?

How hard I took all the change this week.

Waking up every morning with one swollen eye. WHY? Maybe I’m allergic to the detergent I used to clean the sheets? Lame

Moving boxes seem to populate during a move. It feels like they are endless and taking over our home!

“The trick is growing up without growing old.”
Casey Stengel

Find me elsewhere: instagram @kate365, twitterfacebook

9 Responses to “inspirations, gratitude and surprises”

1. Erin Haslag (@WELLinLA) February 1, 2013 at 8:54 am #

Cannot wait to see your new space! Moving is stressful … change is stressful – but eventually we find our equilibrium again and all the change begins to feel like the new normal.

And who says you have to give up the occasional 3 AM night/morning?!

• katemcclafferty February 1, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

Then I nominate YOU as my partner in crime for the 3am night/morning:) xoxo

2. eatwithfatjoe February 1, 2013 at 10:33 am #

Life goes on and I have gotten to the age where I have to check myself when i start wishing time would fly and we get to the next holiday or something….when you realize that you have a finite amout of time…..that sux….

welcome to adulthood!!!

3. cravesadventure February 1, 2013 at 11:13 am #

Good Luck – think of it as New Adventures instead of Change! You have a lot going on and just remember to take time for yourself and together as a couple – escape from the house and go on a mini-date to the local hangout (coffee, lunch, breakfast, sweet treat). Happy Weekend!

• katemcclafferty February 1, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

Thank you for the thoughtful comment. It put a smile on my face. Love love love your ideas. Happiest weekends to you too!!

4. Tom Rapsas February 1, 2013 at 11:13 am #

Love the Casey Stengel quote at the end which really sums it all up.

5. Chantal February 1, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

This was such a great post, it is the reALITY AND I WRITE THAT FUNNY! that many of us have come across and you have not written about it. Yes it put a smile on my face when I read this as well; Change is definitely not easy to welcome, and gone are the days of staying out til 3 am with no responsibilities to face the next morning, Ha ha! Except Sleeping… if that only was my life, but the truth is am fully blessed to be just where I am. Just like you my dear Kate! Congrats on the new changes, and the Swanky, Adult place you both have come to make home… Only more changes to come, welcome them with open arms & an open heart… Love Ya!

6. Katie D February 1, 2013 at 6:21 pm #

Love this Kate! Never feel stupid for admitting your truth!!! It’s beautiful, just as you are.

PS-can we do a book swap when you’re done with the Goon Squad? xx

7. Wendell A. Brown February 2, 2013 at 1:47 am #

Inside I never grow up, I am still like a child, and enjoy life to its fullest! Even when you so call grow up, you are still younger and a child to someone older. Smile, we mature in certain ways, be more responsible in others, but when you love the life you have, you happily remain the child within! You will be okay…because your heart always cares, and you always have a genuine smile to share! Kate you can still do all the things you ever did before but with a little bit more wisdom and moderation! I always love your words dear sister! God bless!