namaste

12 Sep

(photos via)

I started practicing yoga 8 years ago and thank heavens I did because I swear, with out it I would be a cray-zay person. Yes, I would be crazier than I already am. Scary, huh? I’ll admit I go through periods where I practice more often than others and it’s no surprise to me that when I am practicing regularly, everything in my life feels more manageable, my head feels clearer and I feel more present, happy and grateful. Let’s just say that recently I have NOT felt all the amazing things I listed above. Quite the opposite really. My head has been all abuzz with fear, or as I like to think of it- False Evidence Appearing Real. My mind is constantly running over things, categorizing things that don’t need to be categorized and worrying about things that haven’t happened yet (and probably never will!) It’s an exhausting endeavor and I find that using all this brilliant brain power to think about worries leaves little time for creative endeavors.

When this starts to happen, I know that I’m totally out of whack and that I need to get back to my spiritual practice- yoga and mediation.

Yoga and meditation give me a break from the constant chatter of my mind. They show me where my blocks are and teach me about myself, even the parts I didn’t want to look at. I’d like to think that how I show up on the mat is a metaphor for how I show up in life. Do I approach my practice with patience, love and humor?

There’s something really beautiful about pushing your body that hard, yet remaining that peaceful at the same time. And, that 5 minutes of quiet, dark nothing at the end … I live for. The ability to simply exist and just be. You cannot always control what goes on outside. But you can sometimes control what goes on inside.

I’m getting very excited to go on my first yoga retreat next month…

15 Responses to “namaste”

1. statelythings September 12, 2012 at 8:47 am #

When I say that yoga is the most important thing that’s ever happened to me, I think you understand?

2. barbarapotter September 12, 2012 at 8:54 am #

Wow Kate beautifully written and such gorgeous photographs of you. I can’t wait until the yoga retreat too (even though i am not a yogi) and meeting you in person as well. Love you.

• katemcclafferty September 12, 2012 at 8:57 am #

I wish those photos were me!! They are not:( thank you for your kind words about my writing though! Can’t wait to spend time with you in ojai! Love you

• barbarapotter September 12, 2012 at 9:04 am #

Hah, well they are well taken anyway:) Ojai here we come.

3. mylifeisthebestlife September 12, 2012 at 8:55 am #

Oh my gosh! Those pictures are fantastic!
    I’ve tried yoga in the past, but I’m more of a Pilates girl. Which I need to start doing again VERY SOON.
    A yoga retreat sounds marvelous!

4. Madison Woods September 12, 2012 at 10:10 am #

I miss yoga, but it seems life has gotten too crowded to allow time at a studio. I need to just start at home on my own again…your post has inspired me to try.

5. Erin Haslag (@WELLinLA) September 12, 2012 at 10:34 am #

Yes to yoga. Yes to sanity. Yes to more of what we want out of life!

6. eatwithfatjoe September 12, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Pretzel girl

7. Ben September 13, 2012 at 6:39 am #

Those are incredible poses! I hope to one day be able to do those as well!!

• katemcclafferty September 13, 2012 at 7:27 am #

Thanks Ben! I wish they were me! They are gorgeous though. The link to the photographers site is under the top photo. Oh and by the way I would bet that you make it to Nepal very soon:)
      Have a great day!

8. koolimut September 13, 2012 at 9:39 am #

I started doing yoga about 2 years ago as I was beginning to feel the early signs of getting older (small aches and pains I never noticed before!), and have been practicing on average twice weekly! It helps that my husband, attends classes, too, with me! But we had not attended a class in almost two weeks as work was demanding so much of my free time (always my ready excuse). Then yesterday, I told myself I’ve had it! With the weather changing I started feeling literally “rusty” around my joints and if I had left it that way any longer I would turn into Oscar, the Grouch! Yesterday’s yoga class reminded me that half of the battle is GETTING to class! Once you’re on the mat, it’s pure bliss!

9. Rebecca Koo September 13, 2012 at 10:38 am #

Aaaaahhhhhh! I can feel it through your words. So funny that you post this because I have been thinking more about yoga recently. I think I may have some space in my life that I want to use to incorporate yoga more somehow. I have only practiced a little here and there through my life since the kiddos came along but ooooohhhhhhhh how wonderful. Looking forward to the retreat for you and the centering and refreshment that will bring. Thank you for inspiring me and encouraging me through this post! 🙂

10. Christina Z. September 16, 2012 at 10:32 am #

Totally agree. 🙂 Yoga has been the one physical activity that I’ve not only been able to stick to, but that I now feel like I NEED to do to unwind. Love it and currently working on deepening my practice and practicing more often…

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. www Wednesday! a special kinda post « dolacotidiana - September 12, 2012

[…] 365til30- Another lovely lady that I can relate to. She’s working on doing everything on her to-do list. […]