Momma to Kate

7 Jul

Dear Kate,

As your long-time mother (30 years to be exact), I would say I know you pretty well.  And I do.  Mostly. But I’ve learned even more about you reading “365 ‘til 30” this past year.  Who knew that you had a deep desire to tango or that you were yearning to spend a silent week in a monastery?  I didn’t. But I did know that if those were your dreams and goals, you were going to run headlong toward them. I’ve loved being with you on the ride.  You made me laugh so hard.  You are so funny and ironic, so self-effacing and, well….. silly, too.  And you were so open and honest about yourself, emotionally and spiritually.  It made me feel even closer to you.   You told us who you are. And I love who you are.  And you’re so wise.  You’re intuitive and you pay attention. You were always the kid people said was wise beyond her years.  I don’t know how that works now that you’re 30. And you know what else?  You’re plucky.  You have a lot of pluck.   Sometimes when I ‘d  forget for a moment that you were my daughter,  I’d read your posts and see you as a character in a  TV show,  like Allie McBeal or Mary Tyler Moore (but with soul). The kind of girl that’s undaunted and always bounces back. And you’re always game.  That’s a good quality.   I was reminded of that quality this year when you tried to pitch a tent and cook and follow your tango partner’s lead and when you decided to take Trapeze lessons. You’re not afraid to look foolish….fortunately.

30 is a good age.  You’re going to be really good at it.  I know.

Happy Birthday,  sweetheart

I love you

Mom

7 Responses to “Momma to Kate”

1. jmsabbagh July 7, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

Absolutely incredible. .Jalal

2. Hattie Wilcox July 7, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

Happy 30th blogger Kate. As you step across the line to the other side that, I will tell you, whether you can imagine it or not, the best is yet to come.

3. akismet-8bb1f560701a91ef31ebcbf0f5bb8590 July 7, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

This made my eyes water just a little. 🙂 Happy Birthday!!

4. cravesadventure July 8, 2012 at 8:39 am #

Beautiful:)

5. righteousbruin9 July 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

This fourth decade will have you asking, for the first time- “Am I becoming my mother?” It looks as if there are worse models to follow.

• katemcclafferty July 11, 2012 at 8:48 am #

That’s a really lovely thing to say. Thank you. I happen to adore her!