11- Palm Springs for my 30th? Yes please.

27 Jun

The word on the street is Brian and I are going to Palm Springs for my birthday weekend. Brian asked me a few weeks ago what I wanted to do to celebrate the big 3-0 and without hesitation, my answer was…”get out-of-town”. If you can’t tell I am a huge fan of “getting out-of-town”. I vacation well. I also hate birthday parties so I would like to avoid one at all costs. They are simply too much for me to handle- too many expectations to manage (I highly enjoy other people’s parties, so please don’t stop inviting me!) and considering I’m not quite sure how I am going to respond to this whole turning thirty thing just yet, I thought it was best to be away…with my loved one…and cocktails.

When I told Brian my idea, he happily agreed (luckily, he’s a huge fan of getting out-of-town as well) and planned a little weekend trip for us! Yes he’s a keeper. He also decided to keep the location a surprise. A surprise?! But I hate surprises. UGH.

I put on my detective hat and used some deductive reasoning to figure out we were either driving to Santa Barbara, San Diego, Palm Springs or Ojai. It wasn’t hard because there are only so many places you can drive to for a weekend trip from LA. I also know that Brian knows me well enough by now not to take me to Big Bear or Joshua Tree for my birthday. Yes, there would be tears.

Over the last few weeks Sir Brian has done a very good job keeping the location a secret from me. Trust me I can be a little pushy, but he hasn’t cracked under the pressure. He was winning this whole “surprise” thing. That was until we had dinner with his parents Saturday night and his Dad mentioned my 30th birthday and our impeding trip to…PALM SPRINGS! Poor Steve. He felt horrible but in all fairness (seriously, Steve) I had a feeling we were going to Palm Springs. As I said, I also hate surprises- so thanks, Steve. You saved me a lot of grief! Now I can just focus on what bikinis to pack!

I’m a huge fan desert heat, pools, cocktails, vintage shopping and sleep so this is going to be the perfect way to welcome in the thirties. Thanks, Bri-guy!

How do you guys like to celebrate your birthdays?

14 Responses to “11- Palm Springs for my 30th? Yes please.”

1. AlisaG June 27, 2012 at 9:20 am #

my husband and I escaped the children last year and spent my birthday in Dingle, Ireland to celebrate my 40th. As my birthday is new year’s eve, I must say that Dingle threw me a hell of a party. pretty cool. anonymous fanfare is the best kind. Ireland’s winter weather pretty much blows though; there’s a reason why whiskey and beer are so very popular on that island. 😉

• AlisaG June 27, 2012 at 9:21 am #

have a happy birthday, by the way!

• katemcclafferty June 27, 2012 at 9:41 am #

Dingle, Ireland for your 40th birthday?! I love it! What made you guys pick that?? Love your blog by the way:)

• AlisaG June 27, 2012 at 9:47 am #

thanks, yours is awesome too. well, hm…i think we picked it because tickets to dublin were cheaper than anything else we could find. and we’re not afraid of off-season travel though Ireland might have cured us of that. it’s no wonder the Romans considered it a ‘rock not worth conquering’ – they were from sunny, warm, wine-infused Rome after all. but I digress. Ireland was wonderful even though their weather sucks. we went because we hadn’t been there yet and because tickets to Kathmandu were too expensive. the heck with palm springs, book two tickets to Cambodia or Morocco or Sevilla. the 30s are for Big Fun! 🙂 i hate these lame wordpress smiley faces. but it sounds all wrong to hate something smiley. *sigh*

2. Chantal June 27, 2012 at 9:59 am #

Have a wonderful Birthday WEEK!!!!

3. kristasta June 27, 2012 at 11:44 am #

Palm Springs will be awesome… one of my favorite weekend getaway destinations!

4. Christina Zambon June 27, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

Not really a fan of big birthdays, either. I just had my birthday last week, and I did a couple separate birthdays (one with the fam, a dinner with friends, and a dinner with my partner on my actual birthday). But getting away just with your partner sounds like maybe the best way to ring in this new decade!

• Christina Zambon June 27, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

The dinner with friends was just five of us… haha… now I sound like the complete opposite of what I was saying, throwing myself three birthdays… 😉

5. cravesadventure June 27, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

I like to get out of town, especially to wine country:) Palm Springs sounds like a great place to celebrate the BIG 3-0! Have a Great Day!

6. Hattie Wilcox June 27, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

Well, I would enjoy Joshua Tree and the no-frills 29 Palms Inn, or the frills of the historical estate and gourmet cooking of Jan and Gary at Roughley Manor Inn. They also have great-horned owls in addition to great gourmet breakfasts and afternoon tea with homemade dessert and coffee, if that happens to be your preference. But if Palm Springs is more your style and you never made it to La Casa del Zorro in Borrego Springs, keep your ear to the ground for when the new owner will open it again. When the spa was built, the name changed to Borrego Springs Resort and Spa. With the addition of the spa, somehow the unique charm was lost, along with the adult-size, industrial swing set. We used to rent a private, 3-bedroom house called Peppertree with its own private swimming pool. I also stayed in a beautiful, 2-story casita with its own grand piano. And hopefully, the restaurant will bring back my favorite salad in the world, the Kit Fox. Until then, enjoy Palm Springs!

7. free penny press June 27, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

Oh your trip sounds wonderful.. I went to Mexico a few years ago for my birthday and loved it.. next big trip for me (after I get settled in NOLA) is Barcelona Baby!! (Plus we have an office there so looks like a win-win trip, free airfare and Barcelona by night!!!

Happy Pre-30th Birthday!!!

8. Suzanne June 28, 2012 at 6:21 am #

Uggghh, trying not to be too jealous. 🙂 Palm Springs for your 30th? Awesome. My 30th was this past November and I was hijacked into the party thing – which isn’t so bad after all – but a weekend away sounds d i v i n e!

Happy vintage shopping!

9. eatwithfatjoe July 2, 2012 at 5:28 am #

A belated Happy B-Day from a FatFan!!!

10. christine July 6, 2012 at 9:29 am #

Have a blast! I also avoid birthday parties in my honor at all costs. haha