Day 10, Part 1: New Orleans, Garden district, Lafayette Cemetery

4 May

ROAD TRIP

Day 10, Part 1

After a VERY fun night out on the town, I awoke in my comfy bed in our gorgeous room at Hotel Provincial (I was seriously thinking about moving in) to a light drizzle against the window pane. Rain? How unexpected after yesterday’s muggy heat.

I mistakenly thought it was going to ruin my last morning exploring the city but instead, it made it even more intoxicating.

New Orleans in the rain is terribly romantic and it made the city seem mysterious.

After packing our bags, we set off to the Garden District- an area I had yet to explore!

We drove around for a bit viewing the AMAZING historic southern mansions that lined the streets. My lord, are they breathtaking- each prettier and bigger than the next.

After our driving tour, we parked and walked over to Lafayette Cemetery, which happens to be one of New Orleans’ oldest surviving cemeteries. Established in 1833, Lafayette No. 1 was among the city’s earliest above-ground burial sites.

It couldn’t have been a more perfect morning to explore the cemetery- the dark and drizzly clouds that hung above our heads proved to be very dramatic.

I loved reading the inscriptions on the different tombs, most of them dating back to the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. I could have spent all day getting lost in that cemetery.

Day 10, Part 2 up next…

Mississippi, a near-death experience, Motel 6 and Hal & Mal’s

…..

For Rachel’s take click here!

16 Responses to “Day 10, Part 1: New Orleans, Garden district, Lafayette Cemetery”

1. free penny press May 4, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

I’m glad you had a great time there (now you see why I’m moving there)..The
    Great pics of the cemetary!!!

• katemcclafferty May 4, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

I can TOTALLY understand why you’re moving there! When is the move by the way?

• free penny press May 4, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

Jan 2013.. Just in time for Mardi Gras..So much to do though and not enough time..

• katemcclafferty May 4, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

So exciting though!

• free penny press May 4, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

Don’t mean topost a zillion comments on your blog. BUT I was involved in Benolabound this past winter..I did not get selected but it was great all the same. check it out, there is a new group that will start selecting in Oct I think.. (www.benolabound.com)You would be a perfect fit!

• katemcclafferty May 4, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

I love your comments! I don’t mind at all! Thank you for sharing that- I’m going to look into it!

2. Richard McCargar May 4, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

Always a fascinating topic, as well it should be. We enjoy the trip, but none of us gets out of here alive…

3. fivereflections May 4, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

through your eyes it looks wonderful!
    David in Maine USA

4. righteousbruin9 May 4, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

I would definitely make the Garden District part of any NO itinerary. “Near death experience?” Hope you’re okay!

5. the usual bliss May 5, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

What is it about cemeteries? I’m always drawn, too. Your trip is amazing… thanks for writing!

6. jamierboyle May 6, 2012 at 6:19 am #

Beautiful pictures. I just happened to be in New Orleans a few days ago as well. There is just something about tha city, walking around and getting lost that is captivating.

7. Mind Margins May 8, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Best cemetery in the country. Wonderful photos.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. {WANDERINGS} : the garden district / new orleans | one part gypsy blog - May 7, 2012

[…] so much to NOLA than the Quarter. But on this day, I especially loved seeing the above-ground Lafayette cemetery, with small bits of life sprouting up out of the […]

2. let’s do this 2014 | - January 6, 2014

[…] getting chased by what we thought was a tornado…exploring haunted cemeteries in New Orleans…touring Graceland…and so much more…it was a month of bliss. I still think about […]